When I was 23, I was just graduating from university with a semi-useless degree in the humanities and making some big decisions about my future. And, similar to when I was 18, I actually had no idea what I was going to do with my life.
Here’s some advice for those who are just graduating from college:
1. Student loans are evil. If you were unfortunate enough to accrue them, pay them off as fast as possible. Yes, this will require sacrifice.
2. Don’t live like other people. Just because you’re out of uni and have a job, it doesn’t mean that you should do crazy things like buy a brand new car, house or go on a ridiculously expensive vacation. It means that you should pay cash for a used car that you can afford and save up a sizable down-payment for a modest house. As dave ramsey
always says, “Murphy will come knocking.”
3. Compound interest can work for you or against you. Make it work for you by not getting into debt, and by starting to invest. Even a small amount invested in your 20’s can make you a millionaire by the time you retire.
4. Don’t stop learning. Just because you graduated from uni, it doesn’t mean you should stop learning. Find out the skills that the most successful people in your field have and acquire them too.
5. Don’t burn bridges. Networking is important so make an effort to stay in touch with successful people that you know. Even if you have a bad boss or a bad job, make an effort to leave on good terms because you never know what the future holds.